David Coulson on 19 Mar 2008 19:45:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Using 'noatime' in fstab?

The only reason I heard of doing this is that if you have a power saving
system (laptop, for example), you avoid spinning up the disk all the
time to update atime.

I can't imagine not updating atime is going to buy you much in terms of
performance. I rsync some boxes with >1m files so I could try it out,
but I doubt it'll be noticeable.

I use atime a lot to 'clean up' servers - Junk in /tmp and such with
atimes >1day can usually be trashed. Also used it today to remove old
disk-based sessions from a web application that didn't clean up after
itself. For most systems I say you probably won't miss it.