Matthew Rosewarne on 19 Mar 2008 21:43:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Using 'noatime' in fstab?

On Wednesday 19 March 2008, JP Vossen wrote:
> I read someplace that you can reduce wear and tear on hard drives by
> including noatime in the mount options.  I already do this for the one
> system I have using a CF card, but I was wondering about it just in
> general.

When using a flash-based system, it really helps to use a filesystem
specifically designed for flash.  JFFS2, as used in the OLPC, uses a special
block allocation scheme and garbage collection that allows it to spread wear
evenly across the entire flash device.  It also uses on-the-fly compression.

As far as atime is concerned, I always turn it off.  It doesn't tell me
anything useful about my files, slows disk performance, and wears drives out
faster.