Brian Stempin on 27 Mar 2008 10:32:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] virtualization recommendations

You are correct: PV will be impossible.

I had a ton of performance issues with VMWare server, but it worked.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Matt Ayres <matta@tektonic.net> wrote:
Art Alexion wrote:
> On Thursday 27 March 2008 12:29:49 Matt Ayres wrote:
>
>> brent saner wrote:

>>> __
>>>
>>> further clarification,
>>> VMWare GSX --> VMWare Server
>>>
>>> but i personally have had a fair amount of problems with VMWare Server.
>>>
>>> I feel that if i could get Xen working flawlessly, it'd be my
>>> preferred VM. i haven't tried it for a while, though, so they may have
>>> ironed out all the kinks since.
>>>
>> Windows runs under Xen under HVM (hardware assisted mode).  Disk and
>> network throughput sucks.  What is required to fix this is PV
>> (para-virtualized) drivers to be installed in the Windows guest.
>> XenSource includes these in their XenExpress (4 VM limit) that is freely
>> available.  There is a effort underway to make GPL PV drivers for
>> Windows.  You can grab the latest version from
>> http://www.meadowcourt.org/WindowsXenPV-0.8.5.zip.  I forgot the
>> homepage for it.
>>

> I probably didn't make myself clear.  Linux host/Windows Guest.
>
> I assume that eliminates Windows VPC.
>
> No VT so I assume that eliminates any hope of paravirtualization.

VMWare Server runs under Linux, is free, and doesn't require VT:
http://register.vmware.com/content/download.html