Eric on 28 Mar 2008 06:23:30 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Memory Question

brent saner wrote:

> Brian Vagnoni wrote:
> | BODY{font:10pt Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif;} All KVR Registered
> | DDR400 ECC.  Say dimm's 0 - 7, 2 banks of 4. It's a Tyan S2885
> | motherboard. Processors 2 AMD Op 270's and are E6 stepping.
> |
> | Dimms 0 - 5 are 6 sticks x 512mb each giving me a total of 3GB,
> | dimms 6 - 7 are 1gb sticks for a total of 2gb. I think my problem is
> | the following. I will need get 2 more 1gb sticks and replace dimms 4
> | - 5 with them.
> |
> | When I go into BIOS and set the E6 stepping hardware memory hole I
> | only get 3888MB showing at bios boot instead of the usual 5120mb.
> | However for a few seconds at bios boot it shows 5998mb then decrease
> | to 3888mb. I think it wants to see at least the same size in the
> | same bank. So 4 x 1gb in bank 1 and 4 x 512mb in bank 0. I think the
> | interweave is also adding to the problem. Setting the MTRR to either
> | discrete, or continuous in the BIOS has no effect on the size of the
> | memory.
> |
> | Does that make sense&  sound like a plan to you?
> |
> | Brian Vagnoni
> |

> that's certainly a plan to take.
>
> i've heard reports of ecc and dual-core AND 64-bit playing
> not-so-nicely together.
>
> i think before everything you should run some stresstests from a
> bootdisk and so forth. i'm not convinced it's not something hardware
> as opposed to configuration.
>
> has this been a persistent or recent problem?
>
> - --
> Brent Saner

I'm running an AMD 64 dual core chip with 4GB of ECC RAM and it plays nicely
given the following:

1. ASUS Mobo that supports ECC - some manufacturers lie about ECC support.
2. 4 x 1 GB RAM all identical
3. BIOS sees 4GB - OS sees 3.2GB because I have not bothered to recompile the
kernel to use a large memory model

Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas