JP Vossen on 6 Apr 2008 11:57:21 -0700

[PLUG] great tool: x11vnc

I've been testing Xubuntu Hardy beta, but one of my killer apps is
trivial "remote desktop."  As many of you probably know, that's built-in
to the Gnome Ubuntu as (wait for it) "System, Preferences, Remote
Desktop".  But vino is a Gnome app, which a) doesn't work under Xfce and
b) would kind of defeat the purpose of running Xfce if it did work and
had to load all the Gnome libs anyway.

There are a lot of really hairy gazillion-step HOWTOs out there when you
Google for xfce remote desktop, but there are some problems with them.
First, while I'm capable of implementing them, I don't feel like it.  I
use Ubuntu because I want it to Just Work without messing around with
it.  If I wanted to do that kind of thing I'd be using Gentoo.  Second,
most of the "solutions" I found don't actually give you the current,
console session (:0), they give you a new X session (:1 +).  The
*entire* point of this is to get the existing console desktop, for
remote control or t-shooting.  I finally grew a brain and went down the
output from "aptitude search vnc" line by line, doing an "aptitude show
<package>" for likely looking ones.

Enter x11vnc [1], which I'd not known about.  Not only does it do
*exactly* what I wanted on Xubuntu, not only does it mostly Just Work,
but it has a 4K+ line man page with an amazing number of options clearly
spelled out, in depth, with examples.  I'm really impressed with this
package.  (Can you tell?)

The only thing it doesn't do is add a menu item, which is not going to
be an issue for the folks on this list.  Especially check out the
-timeout 300 -unixpw -gui options.  For anyone who has to do remote
support of X desktops, you might even consider this over vino.  I say
that because you can set it up to be extra secure by creating a menu
item that the user must execute for the remote person to be able access
the machine, you can have it timeout and go away, and it has all kinds
of different passwd/authentication support.  That's as opposed to the
vino/Gnome setup where it's on or off as a daemon (more or less), with a
static passwd.  Of course, you can also tunnel it over SSH, stunnel or
SSL (see the man page).

See also:
Bug #56670, first reported on 2006-08-17  by  Caroline Ford
   Xubuntu needs a VNC server like vino is to Gnome
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/56670

Bug #212704, first reported 10 hours ago  by  JP Vossen
   x11vnc should create a menu item
   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libvncserver/+bug/212704

Check it out,
JP

[1] $ aptitude show x11vnc
Package: x11vnc
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 0.9.3.dfsg.1-1ubuntu1

x11vnc allows one to view remotely and interact with real X displays
(i.e. a display corresponding to a physical monitor, keyboard, and
mouse) with any VNC viewer. It has built-in SSL encryption and
authentication, UNIX account and password support, server-side scaling,
single port HTTPS and VNC, mDNS service advertising, and TightVNC and
ultraVNC file-transfer.