Gabriel Sean Farrell on 7 Apr 2008 07:49:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] great tool: x11vnc

On Sun, Apr 06, 2008 at 02:57:04PM -0400, JP Vossen wrote:
> I've been testing Xubuntu Hardy beta, but one of my killer apps is
> trivial "remote desktop."  As many of you probably know, that's
> built-in to the Gnome Ubuntu as (wait for it) "System, Preferences,
> Remote Desktop".  But vino is a Gnome app, which a) doesn't work under
> Xfce and b) would kind of defeat the purpose of running Xfce if it did
> work and had to load all the Gnome libs anyway.

I hear you.  I'm fine with the Gnome project's decision to develop for
the Gnome environment, but as an Xfce user I sure do appreciate software
that doesn't come with all that baggage.

> Enter x11vnc [1], which I'd not known about.  Not only does it do
> *exactly* what I wanted on Xubuntu, not only does it mostly Just Work,
> but it has a 4K+ line man page with an amazing number of options clearly
> spelled out, in depth, with examples.  I'm really impressed with this
> package.  (Can you tell?)

I discovered x11vnc doing remote support for my mom in Utah.  Great
stuff.  Either that or a shared Screen session are invaluable for
showing her what I'm doing when I upgrade something or fix a config file
or whatnot.