JP Vossen on 9 Apr 2008 11:31:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Comcast is Messing with My DNS

 > Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 10:00:02 -0400
 > From: "Brian Vagnoni" <bvagnoni@v-system.net>

[...]
 > Comcast doesn't always do what's printed on their web page. [...]

Indeed.  I had heard that if you called and complained they would do
something.  But like you, I never found the energy to bother.

[...]
 > In Philly I hate the copper, it's horrible; [...]

Yup, that sure makes a difference.  I'm 19,000 wire-feet from my CO,
which is actually farther than driving, because the line runs from my
house away from the CO to a junction box.  It also has some fiber in it,
so the *only* copper DSL I can get is iDSL from Covad/Speakeasy.  That's
basically a bonded ISDN circuit, for a whopping 0144/0144 connection!  :-)

However, I can get FiOS, which I also have at 15/2 (yeah, I'm triple
homed, scary).  I dislike both Comcast and Verizon, and honestly have
had few problems with either.  But the FiOS is a bit more stable, and in
theory faster.  I attribute at least some of my lack of problems with
Comcast to the fact that I never used their DNS and that I don't use it
for much of anything now, and I don't run any servers, or any P2P
services on it.  When it was my main connection, I did have incoming
SSH, but on a high, non-standard port to alleviate kiddie door-knob
twisting.

My $0.02,
JP