Matthew Rosewarne on 13 Apr 2008 19:42:37 -0700

Re: [PLUG] KDE install troubles on Debian

On Sunday 13 April 2008, brent timothy saner wrote:
> > As soon as the install completed, PHP stopped working, and we could no
> > longer access the box using SSH. Unfortunately, the server was located
> > offsite and we just got it back to where we could access it directly.

Chances are he somehow took the machine offline.  There's no reason why X11 or
KDE would interfere with SSH or PHP.  It would help to know more details of
how this happened.

> 1. smack the insurgent responsible for installing windowing and a DE on
> a server. repeat process for it being a development server.

Smacking is not enough, get fire.

> b. purge xserver packages, gdm/kdm, everything you can find relating to
> kde/X.

Actually, if the user wants to run KDE apps on the server, they can be left
there, but get rid of X11 and run them with "ssh -X".  Still, it's probably
better to remove the apps from the server and just use sftp:// from their
machine.

> 3. nmap and telnet the hell out of that box. see what you can find. i
> suspect the kde install mucked with iptables.
> # route -n
> and
> # iptables --flush
> to completely clear out iptables (i'm assuming- and hoping- you have a
> firewall box in front of the dev box).

There's nothing in KDE or X11 that would go anywhere near that stuff, so that
won't be it.  It's possible that network-manager might have taken down the
network, but that would be *very* unusual, as it's explicitly designed not
to.