Kyle R. Burton on 23 Apr 2008 06:39:12 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Kyle's Lisp Preso

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:17 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
>  I also found running the following command on Debian or Ubuntu rather
>  interesting:
>
>  $ apt-cache search lisp | egrep '^cl-|^clisp|^cltl|^onlisp|^sbcl' \
>    | sort | less --quit-if-one-screen

The only thing to keep in mind is that those packages can be behind a
bit wrt the most current versions of the tools and libraries.  There
are a lot of libraries available in apt though, which is encouraging.

>  Not to mention what you get from $ apt-cache search scheme

With respect to Scheme, Dr. Scheme (PLT) is highly regarded:

  http://www.plt-scheme.org/

PLT has a lot of libraries and the IDE is supposed to be very
polished.  I think it might be what Arc is built on top of.

The other Lisp/Scheme I'd recommend looking at is Clojure:

  http://clojure.org/

Clojure isn't common-lisp not is it an R5RS (or R6RS) Scheme either.
That being said, it has a lot going for it:

 - runs on the JVM, so it's easy to start using, has access to a lot
of libraries (jdk, jakarta, etc), its easy to get it embedded into
Java applicaitons
 - lazy evaluation semantics along with some other FP concepts (like Haskell)
 - it includes an Actors style concurrency library (I think this is
meant to be like Erlang's concurrency/distribution model)

Kyle