JP Vossen on 4 May 2008 13:51:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu Hardy and Wubi on Windows

> Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 10:19:54 -0400
> From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu Hardy and Wubi on Windows
>
> On Saturday 03 May 2008 22:21:56 jeff wrote:
>> correct me if I'm wrong, but when I was reading about this, I got the
>> impression that linux got installed *inside* windows. ?I avoided this
>> intentionally because Windows is only going to become unstable and
>> probably will fail at some point, taking linux with it.
>
> I was thinking the same thing.  I have been maintaining a bunch of windows
> boxes lately and have noticed that when things go wrong, they are more often
> than not, irreparable. OTOH, I have found that no matter how much of a PITA
> it sometimes can be, more often than not Linux can be repaired.
>
> I could see the converse, installing Windows in a big file within Linux, but
> don't trust Windows to host my Linux.

I can't argue too much, except to say that the Ubuntu side only requires
the NTFS partition.  Windows can nuke itself into oblivion, but as long
as NTFS stays clean Ubuntu will work.  Yes, I realize there's a
good-sized "if" in there.  But in my experience, Windows more often than
not shoots itself in the foot registry and DLL-wise, rather than by
corrupting the file system at a partition level.

OTOH, if the NTFS "dirty flag" is set, Ubuntu won't boot.  You can force
it, but I don't know how to do that *during* an Ubuntu boot.  The
recommended way to fix that is to boot into Windows and check disk, but
it Windows toasted itself...

Related:
226622	Wubi has unclear error message on NTFS dirty flag

> Wubi sounds good for people who are windows users, want to try Linux, want
> more than a Live boot, but aren't committed to a switch.

Or for people who have to use Windows for work but also want a more
native than VMware Ubuntu to use without major surgery (i.e., partition
messing) to a corporate PC/image.  I'd guess there's a good number of
people like that on this list.

Having said that, back up anything important on the Ubuntu side so when
Windows toasts itself you can recover.  Don't forget a 'dpkg-query
--show | perl -pe 's/^(.*?)\t(?:\d:)?(.*)$/$1_$2/;' | sort' now and then
so you can remind yourself what packages you installed.

Later,
JP