JP Vossen on 4 May 2008 13:59:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Microsoftian Encephalitis & failure to WindowsUpdate

> Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 22:21:56 -0400
> From: jeff <jeffv@op.net>
 >
> Windows has behaved decently for me lately but only the VM.  On Friday
> my Windows monitoring box developed a form of illness I refer to as
> Microsoftian Encephalitis.

Yup, AKA Windows bitrot or cruft (Hummm, Microcruft Windows?).  Some
people proactively  re-install the entire OS from scratch every 6-12
months to prevent that.  Mind boggling, since that's the better part of
a day or two to get the OS, the patches, the apps, the patches, the
configs, and the data all back in place.  Whereas with Debian/Ubuntu you
only ever install once, even for major upgrades...  But you already know
that.  :-)

> To add insult to injury, I had to find a fix because Win Updates
> completely, persistently and repeatedly failed to function.  Fortunately
> a teammate put together a bat file to fix this as the others had
> experienced it too.

I've had that problem.  Can you share the batch file/fix?

Later,
JP