jeff on 4 May 2008 21:01:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Microsoftian Encephalitis & failure to WindowsUpdate

JP Vossen wrote:
>> Microsoftian Encephalitis.
>
> Yup, AKA Windows bitrot or cruft

normally, yes, but this was a more specific -itis.  The actual install
wasn't old enough to have cruft-ed.  At this point, it's probably just
personal.  The box runs The Dude, the freeware graphical ping/snmp
monitoring app (highly recommended).  It doesn't do much more than ping
all day.  It's months old.  I'd actually understand if it was a year old
and I ran all sorts of apps on it.  This one just decided to develop a
very specifically weird inflammation of the registry (or something).

> configs, and the data all back in place.  Whereas with Debian/Ubuntu you
> only ever install once, even for major upgrades...  But you already know
> that.  :-)

:)

but to multiple machines lately.

>> To add insult to injury, I had to find a fix because Win Updates
>> completely, persistently and repeatedly failed to function.  Fortunately
>> a teammate put together a bat file to fix this as the others had
>> experienced it too.
>
> I've had that problem.  Can you share the batch file/fix?

I have it at work.  Hopefully I can remember this all the way to
tomorrow.  It was about five registry commands.

-=-=-
... My other outputs are EL84's