jeff on 4 May 2008 21:17:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Microsoftian Encephalitis & failure to WindowsUpdate

Art Alexion wrote:
> While we always talk about doing this, I find the hardware -- and consequently
> the drivers -- to vary so much from machine to machine, that I feel we'd
> almost have to create an image for each machine..

very good point.

> Sometimes its seems that we can get 3 new machines from Dell with the same
> model number in the same shipment, and there are still some variations in the
> hardware drivers.

in theory, Dell Corporate lines are supposed to avoid this.  The
consumer (Dimension) lines will be latest and greatest or whatever is
popular that day.  The corporate lines are *supposed to be* uniform.  My
experience has been that they were horrid until the last 2 years or so,
when they started keeping track of what they put into them and the
driver cd's could pick up the configs regardless.

> To solve this, we've tossed around the idea of installing a lightweight Linux
> and having Windows run in a VM.

The most well-behaved Win install I have is the one that runs in a VM on
my main Xubuntu box.  It went up the day after Xubuntu was installed and
hasn't failed or gotten corrupted.  Recently I've started using it to
run Outlook as my main mail client.  Aside from the PITA of having to
hit ctrl-alt to get out of the window, it behaves. [someone did put up
articles on how to do this seamlessly with VirtualBox, but I don't want
to create a new image to do it]

>  The image might then be less hardware
> dependent if I understand the virtualization correctly.

Yup.
Everything gets installed to a vanilla-ish set of virtual hardware.

-=-=-
... Bush's explanation of 9/11 is conspiracy theory.