Toby DiPasquale on 4 May 2008 16:41:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Microsoftian Encephalitis & failure to WindowsUpdate

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 22:21:56 -0400
>  > From: jeff <jeffv@op.net>
>   >
>  > Windows has behaved decently for me lately but only the VM.  On Friday
>  > my Windows monitoring box developed a form of illness I refer to as
>  > Microsoftian Encephalitis.
>
>  Yup, AKA Windows bitrot or cruft (Hummm, Microcruft Windows?).  Some
>  people proactively  re-install the entire OS from scratch every 6-12
>  months to prevent that.  Mind boggling, since that's the better part of
>  a day or two to get the OS, the patches, the apps, the patches, the
>  configs, and the data all back in place.  Whereas with Debian/Ubuntu you
>  only ever install once, even for major upgrades...  But you already know
>  that.  :-)

If you're reinstalling Windows with that frequency, you should be
using a centralized image that's itself updated with patches as they
come out. This reduces the re-install time to ~45 minutes + however
long the restore from backup takes. This kind of setup is extremely
common in large-organization Windows deployments and is
well-documented. Large-organization Linux deployments follow much the
same strategy.

--
Toby DiPasquale