Art Alexion on 4 May 2008 16:55:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Microsoftian Encephalitis & failure to WindowsUpdate

On Sunday 04 May 2008 19:41:16 Toby DiPasquale wrote:
> If you're reinstalling Windows with that frequency, you should be
> using a centralized image that's itself updated with patches as they
> come out. This reduces the re-install time to ~45 minutes + however
> long the restore from backup takes. This kind of setup is extremely
> common in large-organization Windows deployments and is
> well-documented. Large-organization Linux deployments follow much the
> same strategy.

While we always talk about doing this, I find the hardware -- and consequently
the drivers -- to vary so much from machine to machine, that I feel we'd
almost have to create an image for each machine.

Sometimes its seems that we can get 3 new machines from Dell with the same
model number in the same shipment, and there are still some variations in the
hardware drivers.

To solve this, we've tossed around the idea of installing a lightweight Linux
and having Windows run in a VM.  The image might then be less hardware
dependent if I understand the virtualization correctly.