Toby DiPasquale on 4 May 2008 17:00:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Microsoftian Encephalitis & failure to WindowsUpdate

On Sun, May 4, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:
>  To solve this, we've tossed around the idea of installing a lightweight Linux
>  and having Windows run in a VM.  The image might then be less hardware
>  dependent if I understand the virtualization correctly.

That would be true, and certainly one the primary uses for
virtualization. However, I'm pretty sure Microsoft's software update
server takes your hardware into account. Also, any large shop is going
to have standardized on some small set of "canonical" system
configurations, anyway, so this is less of an issue in practice.

--
Toby DiPasquale