Joe Terranova on 14 May 2008 19:21:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] regex question

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 9:28 PM, John Sladek <jsladek@comcast.net> wrote:
> Thanks Joe,
>
> Your solution definately makes more sense and will probably keep me out of
> trouble down the road.  The new rule did work fine for me.

No problem.

One thing to keep in mind, now that I think about it: those tests to
see if the request is an existing file or directory only work if
apache can -read- that file/directory. For example, if you went to:

yoursite.com/test.txt
and test.txt didn't have read permissions for apache, generally you'd
end up with:
403 Forbidden

Which tells you pretty clearly what the problem is. However, if you're
using the rewrite I gave you, you'd get:
yoursite.com/index.php?sub=test.txt
which will make you scratch your head a bit when you first see it. Not
a deal breaker, and not something easily changed, but something to
keep in mind.
Always nails me when I upload photo albums; the permissions on the
photos are always wrong, and I keep wondering why investigating the
broken thumbnails redirects me to my blog.