Doug Crompton on 2 Jul 2008 09:40:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Asterisk problem

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Roman Stanchak wrote:

> * Is there an Asterisk LiveCD?

I assume there is. I have not used one. I always get the tarball and
compile locally.

> * Have you tried recompiling your kernel without smp and power management?

I have not directly. I did do the following....

I played around with kernel options....

echo 0 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Which essentially makes it a 1 CPU system at max performance.

NO CHANGE.

Then put it back...

echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/online

Tried this....

echo 1 > /sys/module/processor/parameters/max_cstate

Default was 8.

NO CHANGE.

Not sure it this does the same thing as power managment but I believe it
puts it in 1 processsor mode and also stop throtling of speed.

I might add that background (music on hold) audio is fine.

This problem is subtle. I like things to be perfect. Many would just put
up with it because most answering machines sound crappy anyway. The audio
has a glitch every so often. I would say maybe once every 1.5 seconds and
the glitch is in low MS's. Noticable but most of the time yo udon't miss
anything.

This does NOT happen with calls. SIP or IAX. Just local audio - IVR's and
voicemail and as I said not MOH which uses mpg123.

Doug

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug@crompton.com        *