Paul L. Snyder on 2 Jul 2008 10:25:41 -0700

[PLUG] New, sophisticated spam approach

Not sure if this is actually new, but it's the first time I've seen it.

In the past 24 hours, I've had three messages slip past my filters
that look very much like legitimate messages.  They are grammatical and
properly spelled (if short) polymorphs on a particular theme: add this
account to your mailing list.

The account the messages are being sent to is one that owns several lists
on Google Groups, so I'd suspect that's where they harvested it.
Interestingly, all those lists are private and unlisted, so they may
have been ennumerated by some other mechanism.

All the messages contain lots of "personal information" about the "sender"
(including a putative full name, phone, and fax number).  There is no
actual commercial content in the message...presumably, that will follow
if the account is actually added to a list.  Curiously, all the addresses
generated are in Louisville, KY.

Anyone else been seeing these?  (Two specimens included below.)

Paul

----- Forwarded message from Kelly Sutkamp <[redacted]@insightbb.com> -----