Floyd Johnson on 13 Aug 2008 04:26:54 -0700

[PLUG] Watching Olympic martial arts online in Linux?

Dear PLUGgers,

It seems that NBC has "gatekeeper" code that checks your user agent, so
as to prevent Linux users (I'm Fedora 7, Firefox 2.x) from getting the
events that REALLY matter (Mac and Windows Firefoxes appear to be let
through). If it isn't just me, how did you guys get the judo
matches/plan for the upcoming taekwondo matches via your Linux boxen?

Fishing around on Google reveals that the broadcast servers of other
countries will not export to a US IP addy, as well as a discussion at
InfoWorld
(http://weblog.infoworld.com/stratdev/archives/2008/08/how_can_having.html),
in which one poster said that in the end, it really wasn't worth it.