Michael Leone on 13 Aug 2008 08:32:52 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Watching Olympic martial arts online in Linux?

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:16 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 August 2008 10:48:02 am Michael Leone wrote:
>> I haven't watched much Olympics since maybe the 70s, like the majority
>> of viewers. Numbers have been down for years. Popular atheletes, or
>> when your country may win the gold - like the women's gymnastics, or
>> whatever - bring the ratings. TV stations live by ratings. (except for
>> like CSPAN, of course).
>
> Apologies for the off-topic tangent, but perhaps the nature of the coverage is
> the reason the ratings are off.  Maybe the NBC execs who are supposed to know
> that stuff aren't so smart after all. What I liked about the Olympics of
> the '60s and '70s was the ability to watch sports you don't normally see,
> like the aforementioned martial arts, fencing, horse jumping, shot put, etc.
>
> Somehow, I doubt Americans only like gymnastics and swimming.  I like the
> beach volleyball by the way.  Besides the barely clothed and fit competitors,
> its nice to watch the athletes compete against each other instead of just
> clocks and judges, the latter of which I find boring.

By definition, you are not like the majority - you use Linnux, which
is a minority OS. So if you're a minority in one area, you're probably
a minority in other areas, as well. You follow their logic ...

:-)

--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

"Sometimes your lack of sympathy gets hard to explain,
So on your mask of make-up you just paint a little parody of pain"
 "When You Were Young", Del Amitri