Michael Leone on 13 Aug 2008 07:48:09 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Watching Olympic martial arts online in Linux?

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 9:42 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net> wrote:

> I haven't tried it because I assume it is the same jingoistic coverage that is
> on NBC-TV — all Michael Phelps and beach volleyball, all the time — that is,
> only sports covered are those in which the US dominates.

Michael Phelps is setting historic records for number of individual
gold records, and the beach volleyball is popular with the viewers.
Viewers like seeing atheltically built people in skimpy beach attire;
what a surprise! <G>

But there are other channels showing every event, I'm told.

I haven't watched much Olympics since maybe the 70s, like the majority
of viewers. Numbers have been down for years. Popular atheletes, or
when your country may win the gold - like the women's gymnastics, or
whatever - bring the ratings. TV stations live by ratings. (except for
like CSPAN, of course).

--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

"Sometimes your lack of sympathy gets hard to explain,
So on your mask of make-up you just paint a little parody of pain"
 "When You Were Young", Del Amitri