Stephen Gran on 26 Aug 2008 03:24:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] S/WAN song

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 01:25:00AM -0400, Matthew Rosewarne said:
> On Tuesday 26 August 2008, some idiot wrote:
> > I tried the ASCII art route, but it got a bit tricky, so Kivio got the job.
>
> It would have made sense to actually attach the result...

That's not actually that complicated - you just want a net-to-net
tunnel, it looks like.

Sad but true, TCP/IP can not be taught to route traffic for two hosts
with the same IP address differently depending on which one you mean at
the moment.  You'll need to do one of two things: change the subnet on
one side of the tunnel, or use something like L2TP to have a single
bridged subnet.  If you choose the latter, you still need to renumber
some machines, since TCP/IP still won't be able to decide which machine
you mean and will likely always choose the local one.

Once you've decided which way to go, the setup isn't that bad.  I think
I have some samples laying around that might be helpful for the openswan
side of it, at least.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Magnocartic, adj.:  Any automobile      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | that, when left unattended, attracts    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | shopping carts.   -- Sniglets, "Rich    |
|                                | Hall & Friends"                         |