David A. Harding on 26 Aug 2008 19:02:03 -0700

[PLUG] OT: Public Domain, was Re: PLUG Logo! And LinkedIn

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 09:49:40AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> On Sunday 24 August 2008 4:39:37 pm David A. Harding wrote:
> > authors aren't liable for works in the public domain.
>
> If you harm someone through something you provided them, it doesn't
> matter whether you gave it to them or sold it to them.

You're still not addressing my point. Your examples describe
distribution liability; I described author liability.

> Putting something in the public domain is no different than giving
> it away.

Yes it is. When you give something away, you transfer your ownership
rights to someone else; when you disclaim copyright, you destroy your
ownership rights.

> I just couldn't let a misconception that people who put their
> creations in the public domain thereby shield themselves from
> liability go unchallenged.

I too feel I'm acting nobly, but I think we're, as someone else said,
beating a dead horse. I'll not reply to this thread again on-list,
but I'd be happy to continue it elsewhere -- perhaps over a post-
meeting beer?

Thanks,

-Dave
--