Art Alexion on 26 Aug 2008 06:50:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Logo! And LinkedIn

On Monday 25 August 2008 8:09:05 pm David A. Harding wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:04:05AM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 August 2008 4:39:37 pm David A. Harding wrote:
> > > authors aren't liable for works in the public domain.
> >
> > Good luck with that thinking....
>
> Thanks!
>
> Also, I admire the skill with which you perpetuate your lawyer-FUD.
> Without offering any evidence, you've made me doubt my position.
>
> You Rock.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> -Dave

You create something that is harmful to persons or property.  You sell it
someone is harmed.  You may be liable.

You give it away.  Someone or something is harmed.  You may be liable.

If you harm someone through something you provided them, it doesn't matter
whether you gave it to them or sold it to them.  In some bizarre, but real,
situations, you may be responsible even if they stole it from you.

Putting something in the public domain is no different than giving it away.

I'm not trying to foment paranoia.  The likelihood that PLUG or Stephanie
would ever get sued over this logo is almost zero.  I just couldn't let a
misconception that people who put their creations in the public domain
thereby shield themselves from liability go unchallenged.