Michael Leone on 1 Sep 2008 12:19:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Digital Mistakes & PLUG Business

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 2:55 PM, Eugene Smiley <eug+plug@esmiley.net> wrote:
> Brian Vagnoni wrote:
>> Right now the archives are open to every bot and search
>> engine out there. I would like to see that changed in a
>> way that would asure that only a list registered human
>> was reading the information.
>
> [...]
>
>> Many forums & lists these days are taking steps to prevent
>> sites like google from just accessing this information
>> with ease. For example I block google at my firewall from
>> indexing my site.
>>
>> Like I've mentioned before I feel we should be more
>> concerned about the big data corporations harvesting
>> information about us for profit than Schlocko the uberleet
>> script kiddie from Futardistan.
>>
>> Your comments are always welcome.
>
> I think this is a really bad idea.

+1 on that. I prefer the mailing list to be publicly searchable.

> available to troubleshoot an issue. I'm certainly not going to waste time
> subscribing to and then subsequently logging into many mailing lists to get the
> answers I need when I need them.

Another +1 on that, too. :-)

--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

"Sometimes your lack of sympathy gets hard to explain,
So on your mask of make-up you just paint a little parody of pain"
 "When You Were Young", Del Amitri