Michael Leone on 2 Oct 2008 08:22:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] eeePC partitioning suggestions

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 October 2008 10:23:55 am Michael Leone wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Jason Stelzer <jason.stelzer@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > There are a bunch of ways to do this, but in this case you want
>> > something invisible to the user. I've been happily using pgp desktop
>> > on my mac since it was released.
>>
>> We use PGP Desktop here. The server runs on Linux, but you can encrypt
>> any filesystem (we're an all Windows shop), and it works fine and
>> transparently for us. I have it on my work laptop, and wouldn't even
>> know it's there, except for the PGP password I have to enter at boot
>> time.
>
> Knowing my users, I am considering two problems.
>
> First, it is a Linux laptop, either the standard Xandros, or eee-Ubuntu.  I am
> wondering when and how they are going to be prompted for the key.  I am
> guessing it has to be before X loads because X needs some files in $HOME,
> like .Xauthority, in order to load in the first place. As character mode
> freaks out some of our younger IT personnel, I don't even want to be around
> when one of our end users encounter it.
>
> Second involves the password itself.

We synchronized our passwords with the AD passwords, so at boot, they
put in that password that they are used to. After they boot, they're
never prompted for a password, since everything else happens "behind
the scenes", as it were.

--
Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>

All politicians should have 3 hats - one to throw into the ring, one
to talk through, and one to pull rabbits out of if elected.
                                    Carl Sandburg