Jason Stelzer on 2 Oct 2008 08:26:53 -0700

Re: [PLUG] eeePC partitioning suggestions

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> First, it is a Linux laptop, either the standard Xandros, or eee-Ubuntu.  I am
> wondering when and how they are going to be prompted for the key.  I am
> guessing it has to be before X loads because X needs some files in $HOME,
> like .Xauthority, in order to load in the first place. As character mode
> freaks out some of our younger IT personnel, I don't even want to be around
> when one of our end users encounter it.

X does not need $HOME to start if you're using a login manager like
xdm/kdm/gdm. It just needs $HOME data when it goes to load a user's
settings if they're using something other than the system defaults.
However, by that point in the process authentication will have
succeeded and $HOME should be mounted.

> Second involves the password itself. It can take up to a month to teach our
> users that their VPN password is different from their NT password, and that
> their UID and PWD are different on these shared laptops from their desktops.
> When the laptops come back, the UID/PWD is usually on a post-it on the wrist
> rest area of the keyboard.  I can only assume that the encryption password
> will be stuck there as well.

Use something like LUKS and pam_mount. Thier passphrase is their
password for logging in.

--
J.