Art Alexion on 8 Oct 2008 13:50:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] LVM issues

On Wednesday 08 October 2008 1:08:06 pm Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008, Art Alexion wrote:
> > There is a 254 MB /boot partition, but when I access the LV, there seems
> > to be one there as well.  Unless that is just the /boot partition mounted
> > on /.
>
> The LV should have an empty /boot directory where the boot partition would
> be mounted.

OK.  As I suspected.

> > As I mentioned, the hardware is identical except for the replacement of
> > one drive.  Can I just boot an LV-aware LiveCD and copy everything
> > (except /boot, /proc, /tmp, etc.) to the new drive and just adjust the
> > UUID of the new drive for the old drive in /etc/fstab?  I assume I can't
> > overwrite a running system by booting the new drive and copying
> > everything over to it.
>
> Did you want to keep the new drive and/or remove the old one?  You
> shouldn't need to do either to get GRUB working.

I want to keep both pieces of hardware, but would rather boot the old drive
and use the new one for something else, like raid, or just more data.

> > It is telling me that it is installing grub to the old drive with the LV,
> > but when I boot it, I just get a black screen with "GRUB " on it (not a
> > prompt, just the word) and no input accepted.  I can ctrl+alt+del, but
> > can't type anything.
>
> You'll want to use a chroot to install grub.

That is what I have been doing wrong.

> Boot with a livecd,

Or the OS on the new drive (where I know all the LVM2 stuff is and works)?

> mount the
> LV somewhere, mount the boot partition to the "boot" directory on the LV,
> then "mount -o bind" /dev, /proc, and /sys to their respective dirs on the
> LV. chroot into the LV then run "grub-install [boot partition]" and
> "update-grub".

OK. I will try as soon as I get home.  Thanks Matthew.