Sasha R on 13 Oct 2008 16:29:41 -0700

[PLUG] External Harddrive Woes

A couple weeks ago I got a shiny new tb seagate external and all was well. Yesterday Nautilus refused to show the contents of certain folders on the drive, saying they were empty. From terminal ls shows all the files but they are un-openable. I have the drive formatted ntfs to facilitate sharing with less enlightened friends and I suspected bad sectors.

I was wondering first if it is possible to fsck an ntfs volume? I wasnt sure of this so after 4 hours in windoze chkdsk said it had failed, but my files became usable again. Is this drive safe to continue using for a bit or should I do my best to get the data off ASAP and rma the thing to seagate.

Thanks,

Sasha