Casey Bralla on 19 Oct 2008 11:13:11 -0700

[PLUG] KDE 4.1.2 Verdict

I completed my installation of KDE 4.1.2, and here is my verdict:

It might be ready for late-night infomercial, but it's not ready for Prime
Time.  I am back to running KDE 3.5.x.  Here is why:

1.  The system is still buggy.  When I activated the composing features, I was
left with a screen that was almost completely black, with a very faint mouse
pointer.  I had to Ctrl-Alt-BS to kill X, then manually delete some entries
in the ./kde4 config file.  I also had trouble setting the screen resolution.
I often had a "scrolling screen" because the virtual size did not match the
physical size.

2.  I was not able to move things around on the "Panel".  The "K" menu somehow
got moved out of location, and nothing I could do could relocate it back to
its proper location in the bottom left corner.   Likewise, the size of the
panel is not adjustable.   I like to be able to make it bigger than normal,
but could find no setting for this.

3.  The look and feel were terrible!   Admittedly, this is probably something
I just needed to get used to, but with the other problems I had, I wasn't
willing to devote the time.   The "black" plasma theme was probably the
ugliest thing I've ever seen (OK, that's probably easy to fix).

So I'm back to 3.5.x.   Unfortunately, changing to 4.1.2 completely wiped out
all my 3.5.x menus, so I have to completely rebuild them.  Even the
customizations I added to my konqueror toolbar are mystery gone now.
<aaarrgggh!>

My guess is that 4.2 will be fine.  Gentoo will continue to pull in updates,
so I'll test it again every week or so.   I'm also thinking of doing a full
system recompile ("emerge -e world"), and maybe that will help if I have a
library that's misbehaving or out of date.

Too bad, it seemed like it coulda been kinda cool....

BTW, my system specs:

AMD-64
2 GBytes RAM
Asus KT600 motherboard (2 years old)