Michael Bevilacqua on 30 Oct 2008 08:41:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] OT: Dishwasher

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:42 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
OK, OK, I know this is way off topic.  But I know some of you are
do-it-yourselfers and I hope some of you are appliance hackers.

:-\

My reasonably fancy, stainless steel interior, Consumerreports.org
recommended dishwasher (circa 2001 Kenmore (i.e. Whirlpool or GE) Elite
665.16912001) isn't working very well.  It leaves white residue all over
everything and just generally isn't cleaning well.  Per Googling the
heck out of it I've:

* Cleaned the inside
* Disassembled the inside and made sure nothing (that I can find) is
blocked or clogged
* Run cycles with white vinegar
* Made sure it has "rinse aid"

Nothing has helped much, or for long.  AFAICT, it is filling, heating,
and working OK, except that it doesn't clean right.  The only thing I
haven't done is pulled it out from the cabinet and taken it totally
apart and I'm not sure I want to blow half a day doing that.

Any suggestions or guidance?

Sounds like you have hard water. Contact a local water conditioning outfit (http://www.sanatogawater.com/ <-- my unlce) and have them come out and do some simple tests on your water. If you want, you can do the tests yourself as well by just going to the pet shop and buying a hard water testing kit used for fish tanks. However, I recommend reading up on it first or just leaving it to the pros.

--
Michael D. Bevilacqua
michael@bevilacqua.us