Gordon Dexter on 9 Nov 2008 08:05:25 -0800

Re: [PLUG] music jukebox

Art Alexion wrote:
On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 4:57 PM, Eric <eric@lucii.org> wrote:

I'd like to set up a Linux "jukebox" type application to play mp3/ogg files.  It
turns out that Amarok is too complex for the casual (family member) user :-)

Any suggestions and/or recommendations?

This is a TBD system so I'm presuming I'll install the latest Ubuntu.

Gnome  Rhythmbox is a little simpler.  VLC is a lot simpler.

I always thought Amarok was more straight forward than the windows
offerings while being better at organizing music.  The iPod and other
media player features are nice too
I've tried to like Amarok but after using something as nice as iTunes to manage my music I find I can't stand the interface.  If anybody knows how to make Amarok behave like iTunes then I'd like to hear it.  I've found JuK to be a good simple substitute for iTunes especially if you're using KDE and like the interface consistency.  Rhythmbox (which is GTK based) works well too, and supports playing music directly off connected iPods, which is useful.

--Gordon