James Barrett on 12 Dec 2008 11:00:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Dell Mini 9 loses 2 GB SSD

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I understand now.  I use fdisk to create a 16 GB partition, but with
> mkfs I only create a 14 GB file system.  Is that what you are saying?

Yes, that is what I was trying to say.  I do not know for a fact if
that is what is happening, however.

> OK. Assuming I understand.  I have used gparted to resize partitions, but can
> I resize a file system without destroying it?  If I can't do it directly, can
> I shrink the partition, with something like gparted, to the size of the file
> system, and then use gparted again to expand the partition to the available
> disk space?  When I have used gparted in the past, it grows and shrinks the
> file system with the changes in the partition.

Yes, you can issue a resize without destroying your data, but the
filesystem most certainly needs to be unmounted before resizing.  If
the filesystem can not be unmounted (if it is the root filesystem),
then you will need to rezise it while booted from a liveCD or liveUSB
key.

> Thanks for your input, Jim.

HTH!

--