JP Vossen on 18 Dec 2008 14:04:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] The wonders of WinXP [Cygwin]

 > Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:11:29 -0500
 > From: Andrew Libby <alibby@tangeis.com>
 >
 > Anyone know if it's possible to run Cygwin from a thumb
 > drive?  I imagine it is.  I find windows sanity crushing
 > unless I have cygwin installed.

Cygwin kind of bugs me, because it's not-quit-Unix but also
not-quite-Windows.  Because Windows native is not usable to anyone
familiar with the GNU Text Utils, I use the UNXUtils instead.  They are
awesome, though limited to a subset of tools.  Windows native EXEs, not
DLL mess like with Cygwin.

I still write a good number of batch files (yes, I said batch files)
that heavily use UNXUtils and (Active)Perl one-liners.  Scary, ain't it!

See:
	http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/
	http://www.weihenstephan.de/~syring/win32/UnxUtils.html

Later,