Gordon Dexter on 19 Dec 2008 15:04:05 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Waaaaaay OT: Retrain a Beagle

I would think that 2 and 3 would be most effective, especially 3.
They're also less likely to get you in trouble with the SPCA, methinks.

My parents' labradoodles (they've had them for 3 years now and I still
feel silly every time I say "labradoodle") didn't learn anything from
punishment unless you caught them in the act and scolded them
immediately.  Otherwise they wouldn't connect the deed (usually pooping
on the kitchen floor) with the scolding and realize that it was
something they shouldn't do.  The latter two are more clearly linked
with escaping, and #3 would make sure that the dog is unable to enjoy
his neighborhood romp and so remove the perceived benefits of escaping.

As for other ideas, I'm sure somebody clever could rig a GPS up to her
collar and a little microcontroller to determine if she is in the
allowable range and beep and zap her if she's not, with frequency
increasing as a function of distance.  They might even make those
already.  Battery life would be an issue though.  As would size.  And
the only benefit over the radio-based one would be the possibility of a
non-circular permitted zone.

--Gordon