Michael Leone on 30 Dec 2008 11:37:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] migrating to AD user with Likewise Open

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> To be on topic, I too have a very similar question
>
> Presently, at my company we use AD for all authentication and as an
> application developer my  biggest challenge is to integrate
> authentication into our apps. The authentication team simply does not
> answer or understand my question. Of course, there is a possibility I
> am asking it wrong :-)
>
> As an alternative, we created a database with usernames and passwords
> and all of our applications use this db. We are in our own
> island...which is not good IMO
>
> I am no expert in AD whatsoever, but if I know my username, password,
> and domain is there a library (C/C++/Java/Perl) I can use to test my
> authentication?
>
> For example:
>
> user = < input >
> password = < input >
> domain = company.domain
>
> connect to AD server.
> access domain
> Check if user exists
> Try to authentication by using user and password on domain. Return 0 || 1
>
> Is this possible to do? What other information would I need to
> integrate AD into my app?

I'm not a programmer, but AD does work via an LDAP interface, port 389
I believe. So I'm *guessing* that a library that allows for LDAP calls
should be able to query AD. Dunno what the return codes would be, tho.

HTH