Marty Skitch on 29 Jan 2009 11:07:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Ununtu (gnome) and a kvm

What kind of KVM are you using?  I've been using mine with two different Ubuntu 8.04 systems and my work laptop running WinXP with no issues.  I don't remember the make and model but I do know it is powered to "remember" the mouse and keyboard setting.  I have had issues with plain KVM switches but they were more along the line of the computer did not recognize the mouse or keyboard.

marty skitch

Art Alexion wrote:
I am trying to diagnose whether this is a problem with my kvm or with Ubuntu
8.10.  I have had other issues with this kvm, mostly related to screen
resolution, but this one is particularly troublesome.

About 1 in 5 times, when switching from another computer to my Ubuntu 8.10
computer, I get an abrupt X crash or exit, back to gdm.  I'm thinking it is
the kvm because it does other weird things like a quick mouse movement in
vmware on a windows host results in a computer switch.  On the other hand,
this only happens on the gnome computer.  There is a WinXP computer, a
kubuntu 8.04 (KDE3) computer, and a kubuntu 8.10 (KDE4)computer, and they
don't have the problem.

Does anyone else have issues like this with Ubuntu or gnome and a kvm switch?