sloopy on 2 Feb 2009 18:42:37 -0800

Re: [PLUG] FiOS & Linux

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 06:51 -0500, Art Alexion wrote:
> On 02/01/2009 Brian Vagnoni wrote:
> > When dealing with online tech support, lie.
>
> Before taking my current job, I hadn't run windows since 2000.  Not Win
> 2000, the year 2000.  Lying wasn't so easy as I had a hard time
> remembering the details of the windows interface.  I think I could pull
> that off better these days.
>
> That said, I agree with the person who said that we need to be firm that
> we use Linux or it will always be a niche OS which is not economical to
> train techs to support.
>
> I usually only lie these days when I get non-US support.  It is hard
> enough paying attention to the script when you are 7 steps ahead of them
> without goinng through the fact that you aren't starting IE or opening
> the Control Panel.

and i used to remeber when i first got a cablemodem in the '90's in
DE... i had a Mac and had to tell them i had a windows 98 machine cause
they didnt 'support those' then... the onsite tech (a woman actually)
asked if my computer was 133Mhz or faster, when i told her it was 132Mhz
she said they couldnt install because it didnt meet the minimum
requirements, so i told her to install anyway i would take
responsibility if it didnt work... she setup everything she could, and
connected my (evil) mac and it worked fine...

sloopy.