jeff on 6 Feb 2009 13:58:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Running an existing native installed XP on a virtual machine?

edmond rodriguez wrote:
> While we are on the topic of virtual machines, I am curious if anyone
> has had success running XP on a virtual machine on Linux using an
> existing XP installed partition (native install).

there are a bunch of articles on this for doing it with a laptop.
I tried it once with no luck, although it certainly has been done.
Do a search if you haven't already.

> My machine came with XP installed, and I could only back it up, but
> not make an install disk (that I know of).

Dell's install disks allow you to do an XP install.
I am not familiar with the rules but I'd hope that my purchase of an OS
would include an install.

I just use regular old XP disks for VM installs.  If you have your
license code, perhaps you can locate an ISO.  If you're resourceful,
both are findable.

If you'd like to go further afield, you can dual-boot linux and run VMs
under that but I get your point about the existing partition.  As a tip,
once you eventually get your XP VM set up, MAKE A COPY.  You have no
idea how much trouble it can save you.

XP behaves a hell of a lot better under linux, at least in my experience.

--
ThermionicEmissions - the blog
http://www.lockergnome.com/leftystrat