jeff on 12 Feb 2009 11:53:03 -0800

Re: [PLUG] OT (but not really): Tough Interview questions

Jon Bringhurst wrote:
> On that note, at one of the best companies I ever worked for (in New
> Mexico) the CEO and Business VP ended up having an informal drag race

So long as it was an *informal* drag race.

While my boss was still present, we made a list of questions to ask.
The last one was the killer.  He would go all serious, speak slow and low:

"Ok, here is our last question.  I want you to take your time and think
about this very carefully before you answer.  This is a very important
question.   What is your desert island record?"

The response usually started with an open mouth, followed by the two of
us cracking up.  We had one or two guys who couldn't answer the question
at all.

One guy looked at us, said we weren't going to like it, but it was the
Monkees Greatest Hits.

In spite of that, or perhaps because of it, we called him back.  We took
him to the room, and when he closed the door, there was a full size
replica of that record cover taped on the back of the door.  We told him
he had the job if he wanted it.   Poor guy said yes.

Same boss interviewed me a few years earlier.  It went well but I didn't
hear from him.  I emailed him back and he told me to come in, offering
me the job.  A year later he said that the final decision was made when
I emailed him, signing my name and putting `Geekus Maximus' underneath.

--
ThermionicEmissions  -  the blog
http://www.lockergnome.com/leftystrat