Gordon Dexter on 25 Feb 2009 23:07:23 -0800

Re: [PLUG] errant drive and Spinrite

Glenn Kelley wrote:
> I recently read about a ton of Seagate failures - ends up the firmware
> on the drive needs to be updated...
> go figure one more thing for us all to have to track

It's a firmware bug that causes data to be inaccessible until you send
certain data to the onboard RS232 port.  Apparently every time the drive
starts up there is a 1 in 320 chance that the drive will brick itself,
due to the size of the contents of it's internal journal.  A Seagate
engineer leaked some technical details on Slashdot:
http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1098793&cid=26542735

At no point is data ever actually lost, it's just inaccessible till the
firmware is fixed (or till you replace the logic board with a working
one).  They seem to be pretty good about helping you recover data, but
it certainly is "one more thing" to worry about.  Especially since I
have a server full of 6 of these disks in RAID5.  At least it's on UPS,
that should mitigate the risk somewhat.

--Gordon