zuzu on 3 Mar 2009 13:17:29 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Firefox crashes with lots of tabs open

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> zuzu wrote:
>> Everything that I ever want to read gets a new tab opened, and it sits
>> there until I have time to actually read it, and it sits there longer
>> if I need to act on it.  Browser tabs, like EMACS buffers, are my
>> "working memory".
>
> have you checked out the `Read It Later' addon?

There are other problems.  Recording the URL _only_ is never a good solution.

Namely, that sometimes I read something and wouldn't bookmark it, but
*later* something else prompts me to refer to back to it.  I cannot
predict this in advance; I need to always be able to review my
history.

Also, pages change their states... forums update, sessions expire, and
pages are even removed or censored.  I need a solution that preserves
everything I've ever seen.

Finally, I don't want to be in charge of administering and organizing
my bookmarks / reading list / whatever.  I'd rather use the awesome
power of searching to constraint-based limit a data set to find what
I'm thinking of.

In other words, all of these other extensions (and even caching tab
URLs) are kludges for failure in the software:  that a web browser
should be scalable to a very large number of open tabs, like how ZFS
is designed to be able to store more data than could "boil the
oceans":
http://blogs.sun.com/bonwick/entry/128_bit_storage_are_you

and that a web browser should never crash (or at least be
fault-tolerant to crashes and surgical restarting, rather than the
entire browser), and that it should be able to freeze and unfreeze the
state of tabs in the event of larger issues such as having to reboot
the entire operating system.