sean finney on 5 Mar 2009 08:21:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Trouble with updates

hi rob,

suggestion #1 "don't panic" :)

it sounds like your sources.list probably contains a "stable" entry
instead of a "codename" entry (like "etch" or "lenny"), so when debian
released lenny (v5.0) you system immediately wanted to update itself.

my second suggestion is that you step away from kpackage and instead use
the cmdline version of the tools at least until you get things stabilized.
the error messages from the cmdline tools will be easier for us to help
you with too.

so, try running "apt-get -f install" as root (or sudo apt-get -f install
if you're using sudo) and see what it wants to do.  if it wants to remove
half your system or anything that sounds remotely important, then don't,
but otherwise it might fix things up for you.

otherwise, we'll need the output of the above, along with teh contents of
your /etc/apt/sources.list.

and one final suggestion: please wrap your lines at a reasonable (75-80)
length, for those of us who use text-based browsers it will be easier to
both read and quote you :)

	sean