sean finney on 5 Mar 2009 08:25:29 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Trouble with updates

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 11:14:21AM -0500, Chad Waters wrote:
> Debian 4.0 "etch" will supported for another year. I'd stick with that
> until you do some research. I don't know what this machine is doing. I
> wouldn't blindly upgrade it.
>
> Can you post your /etc/apt/sources.list ??
>
> I have a feeling its referencing the rolling "stable" depository,
> instead of referencing the 4.0 release "etch". That's a quick fix if
> that's the case.

i should add that in my previous email i was making the assumption that
some packages had already been partially upgraded by this time.  if that's
not the case (i.e. apt-get -f install reports no errors and doesn't want
to try doing anything), then you can probably get away with:

* edit /etc/apt/sources.list and change stable->etch as suggested by chad
* apt-get update

subsequent calls to apt-get upgrade (or attempts to upgrade in kpackage)
should be a little less scary.

	sean