Rob Moore on 5 Mar 2009 09:48:43 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Trouble with updates

Thanks for your replies, Chad and Sean. Sorry if my message isn't wrapped well. I'm using Outlook and according to the preferences it's supposed to wrap at 76 characters. I'll try to send my messages in plain text format (this is), and if it's still problematic, I'll try changing to one of my web-based email addresses.

Anyway, here are the contents of my /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main

deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib.

There are also some lines in it that have been commented out, telling it to look to the CD-ROM drive.

Thanks,
Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org [mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Chad Waters
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 2009 11:14 AM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Trouble with updates

> Hello-
>
> I'll preface my email by saying that I am new to supporting Linux. A few
> months ago I (a Windows Server guy) inherited the job of supporting a few
> Linux servers when our previous Linux guy left the department. Since then
> I've been trying to learn a few things about Linux. One thing I do is the
> updates on a regular basis, about once a week. Then, a couple of weeks ago,
> version 5 of Linux came out and the number of updates jumped waaay up. And
> now my updates don't work. Every time I try to run kpackage, I get an error
> about packages with unmet dependencies. For example, I'm looking at one now
> that says "The following packages have unmet dependencies. Libperl5.8:
> Depends: perl-base (= 5.8.8-11.1+lenny1) but 5.10.0-19 is to be installed.
> E: Broken packages" Another one gives an error about clamav-freshclam.
>
> I'm not sure what to do. The former Linux manager said, "Wait a week or two
> and all that stuff will get fixed." Well, it's been a couple of weeks, and
> things are still broken.
>
> What to do?
>
> I'm using Debian version 4.0.

Debian 4.0 "etch" will supported for another year. I'd stick with that
until you do some research. I don't know what this machine is doing. I
wouldn't blindly upgrade it.

Can you post your /etc/apt/sources.list ??

I have a feeling its referencing the rolling "stable" depository,
instead of referencing the 4.0 release "etch". That's a quick fix if
that's the case.

-Chad