Edmond Rodriguez on 6 Mar 2009 11:12:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] word docs with open office and web sites (slightly OT)

What I have noticed, though I have not experimented with it much, is that some of the websites to find work parse the resume when it is uploaded.  It is the parsing (I think) that causes the corruption error.   If I used a MS Word (read only) to look at the same file, it is fine.

But for automated sites, this makes me concern, even if I don't get an error, as there may be an error downstream that I will not know of.

I wonder though, If MS Word can open the file, then why can't the parser handle it?

I could try different saves, Word 2000, 97, 95, maybe docx, which I have not done, or an updated OO (I have one withing the past 1.5 years).

Apparently there must be subtle differences that these parsers detect, as they work for genuine Word files.

From: Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com>
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Friday, March 6, 2009 7:28:07 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] word docs with open office and web sites (slightly OT)

I always felt that people who send stuff docx, and don't know how to
convert them to doc when requested shouldn't get a call either, but
HOUR doesn't understand that incopetence any better than the
applicant.

I wouldn't say that if every job posting didn't include competence in
MS Office as a job requirement.

On 3/5/09, Stephen Carl <stephengcarl@verizon.net> wrote:
> I've used it to convert a Microsoft Works file to MS Word for our HR
> department. It worked great. Of course, anyone who sends a resume in MS
> Works shouldn't expect a call anyway! ;)
>
> Steve
>
> On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 16:33 -0500, Randall A Sindlinger wrote:
>> Hmm... You might want to try www.zamzar.com.  I've never used it myself,
>> only heard
>> of it.  Looks interesting, and it's free to try (if you don't mind the
>>
>> They say they support converting .odt to .doc
>>
>> -Randall
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 01:22:50PM -0800, Edmond Rodriguez wrote:
>> > Yet another recruiting web site will not take Open Office docs formatted
>> > as word docs.
>> >

>> > Please correct the following errors:

artAlexion
sent unsigned from webmail interface