Lee Marzke on 25 Mar 2009 19:53:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux Home VPN How To

or setup your vpn on port 443 :)

Of course.

Normally port 443 is encrypted SSL,  so you can't inspect it.

I suppose must proxies don't even try, if they did, in my case they might see that it wasn't SSL, so far it's worked with every proxy/firewall I've dealt with. I've even bypassed proxies requesting passwords (AD authentication) with just a little more work. ( And even this
can be done on windows with nothing but  Putty )

If you have multiple IP's, I usually setup a subdomain vpn.hostname.com to point to the server running ssh ( or openvpn ) on port 443, so the main domain is free for SSL traffic. This is of great use to consultants that have to deal with restrictive firewalls at client sites, or libraries...

Lee