K.S. Bhaskar on 9 Apr 2009 09:28:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] most common web dev technology in the Philly region?

I contacted M Gateway, and was pointed to a presentation at AjaxWorld
about Quest Diagnostics
(http://www.slideshare.net/george.james/missioncritical-ajaxmaking-test-ordering-easier-and-faster-at-quest-diagnostics).
 It doesn't have hard examples but it shows the concepts.

As I understand it, EWD provides a set of tags that provide an
interface or contract between the UI designer and the programmer.  The
UI designer uses the tags to provide content for XML DOMs in web
pages, and the application programmer writes the functions that
provide content for the EWD tags.  The FOSS licensed EWD connects to
GT.M and M/DB on the back end.  The non-FOSS (I think it's free but
not Free) EWD has more back end targets.  The connection is generated
by a compiler, so that one can migrate applications between different
back ends while keeping the web pages unchanged.  When used with a
toolkit like ExtJS, EWD can provide the connectivity to the back end
application / database.

They recommended downloading the EWD virtual machine, which has a
tutorial in it.

Regards
-- Bhaskar