Sean Collins on 9 Jun 2009 05:08:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [Slightly OT] UPS recommendations

Have you thought about using a KVM so that you can reduce the amount
of monitors you need to have, and thus lighten the load on the
breaker? Not to mention, move the AC to it's own circuit if possible?

On Jun 9, 2009, at 7:47 AM, Paul L. Snyder wrote:

> On Tue, 09 Jun 2009, Isaac Bennetch wrote:
>
>>> Any suggestions for a where to start when shopping for a UPS?
>>
>> I have the APC Back-Ups 550 for that exact purpose (I tend to save
>> snippets of text in unsaved text documents, which works out about as
>> well as you can imagine. Or worse). As others have mentioned you
>> usually can't plug your printer in to the UPS, but I think that's not
>> really your goal.
>
> Indeed...I'm not trying to run the printer (nor the air
> conditioner!) off
> of a UPS.  I just need something that will handle a computer, an
> ancient
> (and batteryless) laptop that's acting as a server, and a brace of
> monitors.  I'm looking for brief computational continuity when the
> printer
> and AC tag team the breaker box (or when we have an exciting lightning
> storm, like the one that just woke me up).
>
> Paul

Thank You,
Sean Collins